Monday, May 09, 2005

Meme Challenge #3: My Mom

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This is for Tenika's Meme Challenge:

My mom has taught me so much as a daughter, a wife, a friend, and a Christian. Even when our family went through difficult times, my mom was the glue that kept us together. She never gave up - she led by example and always remained faithful. She loved the role of stay at home mom when my brother and I were little. On the first day of school each year she would make sure we had a new outfit, and she would take our picture before we left for the bus stop. She would actually cry when we'd leave (were they tears of sadness or relief?!) for school that first day back. When we would get home from school she would always have a snack waiting for us. She would sit down with us and eagerly listen to us rattle on and on about what we'd learned in school that day.

When my mom turned 40 she decided she wanted to go to nursing school. For 4 years she went to school, worked part-time, and raised a family. Looking back I wonder how on earth she made it all work. By this time my brother and I were teenagers and non to easy to get along with! She graduated from college with an RN degree (and WITH HONORS!!) the same year I graduated from high school. I was so proud of her. Even her brother, who would die from cancer a month later, attended her graduation ceremony. We were SO very proud of her! She has found her niche in the nursing world - she's a dialysis nurse at our Veterans hospital. She loves working as a nurse and is excellent at what she does. Her determination to go to school as an adult, work hard to achieve her goal, and her faith have taught our entire family that dreams do come true. They just require alot of work. :)

My mom is silly too - she is technologically incompetent. We love to tell stories about her crazy technical problems. Once such incident involved her new car. My dad traded their old car in for one that had an upgraded stereo system (amongst other things). Except the upgrade didn't include a cd player (HUH???!!!) and she was SO disappointed. For weeks she would bring up how disappointed she was that she didn't have a cd player in her car. One day my husband was visiting my parents and mom brought up the subject of not having a cd player in her car. She said it "looked like" there was supposed to be one because there was an eject button. But every time she pushed the eject button the display would read "no cd". My husband ran outside to confirm what he knew had to be true. Sure enough, she did indeed have a cd player. The place to put her cd was a SLOT, not a tray that would come out of the stereo (like the one in her house and like her dvd player). Needless to say, mom has never lived down the "NO CD" story.

She is a treasure to our entire family, and we love picking on her. She takes it well, and even laughs at herself when she's done something silly. There are so many other funny stories like "no cd," and one day I'm going to write them all down. Until then, I just treasure the moments I share with my mom - she makes me laugh, cry, and shake my head in bewilderment. I love our friendship we share as adults, and I appreciate everything she has done for me as a mother. I wish everyone could be as lucky as our family.
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY MOM!

No comments: