Friday, August 19, 2005

A Tale of Two Squash

It's FRIDAY!!!! I'm so happy to have another weekend ... and this one is wide open. Other than church we have NO obligations! Haven't had one of those lately. :)

If all goes as planned (or "unplanned") I may even get to spend a day in my own little creative world and finish up some of my projects. I have a baby album (and baby for that matter!) going on 8 months that I need to complete, two circle journals, and daggone that quilt I've been snipping for ages. FYI: Although rag quilts are easy to piece together, the edge cutting has proven to be quite time consuming. And NO fun! :( Mom, I promise to have it done by your birthday... which was the original goal anyway. Without the quilt nazi breathing down my back I've been procrastinating a bit. I know, I know ... bad me.

So, a couple of nights ago I decided to make a recipe my dad has perfected. I have two squash plants that continue to produce yellow squash, so I wanted to try something other than squash quiche, squash casserole, steamed squash, or fried squash. This time I tried making squash fritters - similar to corn fritters but made with the other yellow veggie. Now, the first time I tried this recipe (about a year ago) the results were horrifying. I had lumps of gooey stuff floating in butter flavored crisco. NOT the results I was looking for. My poor husband, who hates squash anyway, was so brave. He tried one of the sad little lumps of squash goo and announced they were "a little too buttery for him." HA! I knew the truth. They were disgusting. They were promptly thrown away ... along with the recipe. I have this kind of perfectionism personality that if I don't get it right I won't do it. Because it should be perfect the first time ... this is where procrastination sets in.

Anyway - I decided to try the fritters again - using canola oil instead of Crisco, and making baby food out of the squash instead of just cooking it down. They turned out PERFECT!!! I was so happy to finally create a fritter I could be proud of. They were lightly browned on the outside and no lumps of goo on the inside. Just right. Nothing like a few good squash fritters to make me happy - and I only had to call my parents once ... for the recipe!

Have a great weekend - I doubt I'll be posting again. Hopefully I'll have some pictures to share with you all next week.

Ciao!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love yellow squash! I like to use a potato peeler and make thin zuccini ribbons. I saute them in a little olive oil spray and garlic salt. Yum!

I hope you had a terrific weekend.