Wednesday, May 18, 2005

{Friends}

Friendship \Friend"ship\, n. [AS. fre['o]ndscipe. See Friend, and -ship.] 1. The state of being friends; friendly relation, or attachment, to a person, or between persons; affection arising from mutual esteem and good will; friendliness; amity; good will. [1913 Webster]

There can be no
friendship without confidence,
and no confidence without
integrity.
--Rambler.

I liked this quote when I read it. It made me consider the definition of true friendship - how to be a friend and what to look for in any relationship. How to distinguish a friend from an acquaintance; and a close acquaintance from a good friend.
I've always had lots of acquaintances, but only a handful of very close friends. There is ONE person I can think of that is my very best, soul mate, kind of friend. Her name is Kristy (a.k.a. Krispy Kritter). We have been friends since 9th grade. Throughout High School we convinced pretty much everyone that we were sisters separated by a custody dispute between our parents. We both have red hair, we have similar, almost exact, personalities, and we even sport the same tattoo in the same place on the small of our backs. Kristy lives in California these days, and I'm on the East Coast. We manage to keep in touch via e-mail, because Kristy doesn't understand the concept of phones or the good ol USPS (Disclaimer: krisp, if you're reading this my hands have a mind of their own and typed that sentence!!) There was a period of time when we lost touch with one another, but she was never far from my thoughts. When a series of events brought us back into contact with each other, it was as if we'd never been apart. The events weren't so great, but we knew we were there to get each other through them. She attended my wedding, and I let her use my scrapbook supplies (hehehe). We have one of those friendships that no matter how much time passes we can pick up exactly where we left off. She makes me laugh - she's witty and sarcastic (like me!). We can communicate without saying a word. She's hardheaded, strange, and refuses to answer questions when backed into a corner.
She is the living definition of a "redheaded personality". She only wears black, grey, green, and brown. She's quite opposed to pastels for that matter. She has a self-imposed allergy to the sun (why oh WHY does she live in CA near a beach?!) She hates bugs, and I'm pretty convinced she's obsessive compulsive. I wouldn't want her any other way because She ROCKS!
Recently Kristy's honey, Scott, asked her to marry him. She bought her first home, and is busy making plans for her future. I'm so happy for her - so happy that she's happy. I'm hoping she remembers to send me an invite to that wedding - or an announcement at the very least! (Congratulations Sped!)

Over the years I've made several other close friends, but none of them come close to the friendship I share with Kristy. She is the other half of me, my sped, my Krispy Kritter - she is my very bestest friend in the whole world. My husband says if she lived nearby he would never see me - that just isn't true!!
{Thanks Krispy, for all the years we've shared as friends! I love ya!}

NOTE: Do you have a friendship worthy of celebrating? Is it your best friend, husband, parent? Take some time and think about how this person has changed your world. Let them know how you feel!

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

I do have friends like this and it sucks when they move away! I never really miss them until they're gone. You're right. You have to let them know how much they mean to you. Gotta do this more!