Saturday, June 04, 2005

Healthy Food

The decision has been made. Our minds are made up. We're not backing down this time. My family and I are about to embark on a journey toward a better lifestyle. Over the course of the next couple of weeks we're going to be preparing ourselves for 40 days of a cleansing diet, and a longterm change of eating habits. One that entails purging all processed foods and replacing them with whole/organic foods. Foods that aren't full of toxins, additives, preservatives, and who knows what else to keep them from spoiling. Free range chickens and eggs, unpasturized milk, goat cheese, handmade whole wheat bread made from ground wheat berries... I'm going to become a regular hippy!! (I refuse to quit shaving my legs and pits though). We'll be using "The Maker's Diet",in addition to several other books, to guide us through this change in lifestyle. The basic 40 days diet is found in "The Maker's Diet" book.

This decision was not easy for me to make, but I'm ready to feel good again. I'm ready to see if this diet will help Trevor feel better. He has acid reflux disease and I'm especially interested to find out whether or not this diet will help control the problem. I will admit, he's not to keen about the changes that need to take place, ut he's such a trooper he's going along for the ride just to see what happens.

We've joined the local whole food co-op, we're slowly replacing the bad stuff with the good stuff, we've ordered a grain mill so we can begin making our own flour ... and we're getting our vitamins together. I'm busy reading up on organic foods, composting, and herbal medicine. It sounds strange, but I feel like I need to get back to the basics in life. Simplistic, uncomplicated, enjoyable. I'm trying to figure out how I can unclutter my life, and this whole diet sounds like a good place to start.

If you are interested in hearing more about the diet feel free to contact me.

Ciao~

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Good luck to you! I am on the quest to do the same with lifestyle changes!

CarrieB said...

What a great thing you are doing for you and your family. We try to eat whole. However, I've gotten lazy and big frozen bags of stuff from Costco have become regular in our home. My DH is great about trying to eat whole and unproccessed. We eat a lot from the Eating For Life cookbook. I need to find the organic chicken and turkey place near us. I want to get away from the mass produced animal products. We've just about eliminated dairy (we drink soy milk). Our youngest will only drink whole organic cows milk, so one half gallon is usually here. Have you heard of the American Botanical Pharmacy and Dr. Shultz? We just ordered a bunch of herbals and Superfood. Good stuff!

Good luck to you and I'll be reading to see how it goes!