Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Pick a Number Between One and Ten

Trevor and I enjoyed a *much needed* visit with some of our dearest friends last night. Our friends have three daughters ... the oldest two are about 6 and 8 (or so) and the youngest will be 1 in Auguest. The following is a conversation between the two oldest daughters who had been instructed by their father to decide together on what movie they were going to watch. It could be any movie, but they both had to agree on it.
H: I want to watch "Little Women"
T: I want to watch "Spirit"
Dad: You all decide what you're going to watch or we're not going to watch a movie.
(H pulls out all the tricks and finally initiates the best trick of all. Silently, pouting alone on the sofa, huge crock tears well up in H's beautiful blue eyes and gently spill down her cheeks. This is a tactic that H has employed in the past and found it to be quite effective. Meanwhile T is trying desperately trying to work out some kind of deal so they can watch a movie. Dad is silently rooting for T (who is younger than H) not to give in ... to be strong and stand up for herself. You see, he has been on the receiving end of those tragic tears and he KNOWS what H is doing to T.

T: Okay H, I have an idea. Pick a number between 1 and 10 and whoever is closest to the number will win
H: Okay, I pick ##
T: Okay, I pick ##
H: But that's not fair you already know the number!
T: I DO?! What is it?
It is stories like this that put things back into perspective for me. These kids are so precious and sweet - Trevor and I have been blessed by their whole family and love them dearly.
I'll post pics from my trip to NC tomorrow. I made a new large furry friend, spent hours amongst incredibly talented artists, drooled over some very cool paintings, drooled some more over the old farmhouse our hosts live in and are renovating, drank excellent coffee, enjoyed a wonderful quiche my friend made, shopped at antique shops, and found a very cool quilt for a steal. I was glad to get home to my honey on Sunday - I could tell he missed me, which, of course, made me happy. I didn't want to be the one doing all the missing! :)

~ciao

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your visit sounds wonderful. I've heard some wonderful things about NC. A friend gave me a few real estate guides and a "Newcomers Guide". I think she wants us to consider moving. My best friend is in WV.

Ahhhhh...to antique, drink excellent coffee and have time to catch up with old friends. Sounds beautiful! Glad you had fun!

mindi11 said...

such a cute story!