Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Fall Fashion ...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is my husband, can you see him? If he was in the woods and you were a deer you would assume he's a tree... which is the whole point I suppose. Trevor is sooooo proud of this ugly outfit he calls a "gilly suit" (I guess I spelled that right) Around this time of year my beloved husband turns into Rambo. Hunting clothes magically appear, weapons are cleaned and "zeroed in", and life at our house revolves around the eating, mating, and pooping habits of deer. *SIGH* For parents August revolves around school clothes, supplies, and gearing up for that first day of school. For Trevor the smell of a freshly sharpened pencil and a fresh ream of paper means .... ONLY ONE MORE MONTH BEFORE THE HUNTING SEASON OPENS!!!

Now, some wives would get all girly and upset about the killing of innocent animals. Some wives would flat out refuse to eat anything their husbands kill. And some wives would resent the amount of time their husbands spend hunting. But not me. I LOVE this time of year. Most of the meat we enjoy during the year is a product of his hunting talents. It does make me sad to see innocent deer being killed, but I can ignore this just like I do the killing of cows, pigs, chickens, and any other meat I choose to eat. As for the amount of time he spends in the woods ... well I use that time alone to do the things I love doing. Scrapbooking, visiting with friends and my mom, cleaning the house, or laying around reading a good book.

Another thing I know about hunting. It is something that allows Trevor to relax and regroup. He works hard all year long and hunting allows him to kick back and enjoy the outdoors. He is a fine hunter, respectful of the hunting laws, and he appreciates nature. He doesn't hunt just for sport ... he hunts with the intention of stocking up on food. I'm glad Trevor has this outlet that helps him keep his sanity.

So - for all you animal lovers (and if you read my blog you know I love love love all things furry!) that think hunting is a crime, here is some food for thought:

There are some people who still hunt for food ... just like our ancestors!

Hunting takes great skill and talent. Not all hunters are bloodthirsty rednecks running around in the woods killing for fun. (Enter dueling banjo tune ...)

True hunters respect and love nature, just like all us animal lovers. As a matter of fact, they have a true appreciation for nature and seek to preserve the balance.

Without a hunting season the population of hunted animals would increase to the point of overpopulation. Overopopulation causes inbreeding, mutations, sickness, spread of disease, and more accidents involving animals and cars.

As humans continue to populate rural and even urban areas, there will always be an "overpopulation" of animals. We are invading their habitat and leaving them homeless.
I'm not a hunting advocate, nor am I against hunting. I simply recognize the necessary evil needed to keep the balance of nature. Maybe you agree, maybe you don't. Or maybe you've just never given it any thought ...

Ciao!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh yes. Soon the cammo fleece and dirt soap will be gracing my washing machine, getting ready for elk season. My DH doesn't have a gilly suit, but he did manage to purchase the whole get up in some kind of high tech fleece for hunting (the quiet kind, he tells me).

I grew up with a dad that missed every single birthday, because, well, its hunting season! Too bad his first-born daughter had to be born in late September. My dad spends most of June (bear) and most of September (deer/elk) in Idaho, because his best friend moved there 15 years ago and there is no hunting in southern CA.

My husband grew up in WI and has fond memories of their hunting cabin that was always available for fall weekends. Now he goes to Arizona with my Dad in Dec. for short hunts. My DH desperately wants to move to a state where hunting is more available. Last year, he left me the week before Christmas to go hunting. He is planning on another Dec trip and I think he deserves it! He works long and hard all year and the woods is where he loves to be. He can relax, connect and feel closer to nature (and God). My husband needs to get out in the woods to play more.

When we lived in Ecuador, we raised rabbits for meat. I didn't like cooking what I knew was boucning around earlier in the day, but I have the same attitude you do, and we do what we must.

Gosh Heather, we DO have a lot in common! I hope I get to meet you someday.

Anonymous said...

HEE HEE HEEE.
THAT IS THE FUNNIEST DARN PICTURE I HAVE SEEN IN QUITE SOME TIME, THANKS TREVOR!