Monday, August 15, 2005

HAY!!

No, I didn't spell my title wrong. I am referring to the stuff horses eat.

This weekend Trevor and tilled (well, Trev did that), raked, fertilized, seeded, and spread hay over our entire back yard ... in 100 degree weather! Are we crazy you ask? Well, let me explain the situation

Over the course of the last year we have torn up our backyard to: remove a hill; install a "man shack"; dig a trench for water and electric to said man shack; build a retaining wall; and to make a new hill. In the process we've not had ANY grass in the yard. It has been dirt, mud, a few scraggly weeds, and just plain old UGLY! Trevor has attempted to till, rake, and seed the yard three times, but each time he'd get as far as raking it out and then it would rain for days on end. It was frustrating - more so for him (obviously!) Since this weekend proved to be sunny, hot and humid (did I mention sunny?!) we decided to just "get er done!" So, armed with tiller, rakes, and a pitchfork we transformed our yard from a wasteland of red dirt (Virginia's finest!) and crabgrass, into a backyard HAYven ... HA! Soon, hopefully, we'll see greenness peeking through the hay.

Our backyard hasn't been green in over a year, and before that it was one huge hill covered with underbrush. I can't wait to watch it transform into a REAL backyard! But for now I guess I'm happy just knowing beneath all that brown hay lies grass seed just waiting to be activated.

Happy Monday everyone!

Ciao!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

man shack.....

I couldnt stop laughing after i read that.... I couldnt even read the rest .... ha ha ha ha !!!
you are so awesome !!