Two weeks ago Trevor and I attended two birthday parties in one day. Talk about a day of festivities!
The first party was a celebration honoring a very dear friend's 70th year of life. Present for this special occasion were a number of close friends, family, and co-workers. My friend, Daisy Ann (as I lovingly refer to her), was the guest of honor and looked absolutely beautiful. She was beaming, as usual, and so proud to have her son and family around her.
The second party was an all out brough ha ha (spell) for my boss' husband. In the company of 200 of his "closest" friends, and to the sound of a live band crooning oldies but goodies in his backyard, Bosses Husband turned 60.
But back to that first party. A celebration of a major milestone for one of my favorite people in the whole world. Being a part of her festivities reminded me of what wonderful friends and family I have in my life. Ann was one of the first people I met when I moved to this area. I only worked with her for a brief period of time at Legal Aid, but in the six months we worked together we formed a special bond. When I was soooooo lonely & homesick, Ann spent time talking to me and praying with me. She set the standards high, still does, and accepted no excuses. When I would do something dumb, like speak on her behalf without her consent, she would let me know that was U*N*A*C*C*E*P*T*A*B*L*E!!!! She gave me hugs, filled in for me when I took lunch breaks, gave me advice, and loved me when I was feeling (and probably acting) my worst. She is the best!!
Ann has worked for Legal Aid for almost (or over) 30 years! She is a professional through and through. Her work is perfection, and she strives to help each of her clients personally. She handles the pro bono cases and is in charge of finding attorneys at local firms to take the cases. Not an easy task ... not many attorneys are willing to work for free when they already have full caseloads. But Ann is good at finding attorneys to help - they find it hard to say "no" to someone who is so kind and sweet. She handles all the legal aid divorce cases, and she also fills in for the intake paralegal when she's out of the office (which is often!!) She sits at the front desk when the receptionist is out or at lunch; she listens to the neverending complaints and drama of co-workers; and on occassion she's been known to shut her door and turn up the praise music or listen to a good sermon. She has a voice that is absolutely beautiful. She is a talented singer, and I believe comes from a long line of talented musicians.
I no longer work with Ann, but on a personal level we've grown even closer. I am proud to call her my adopted mom, and she gladly accepts me as her daughter (and Trevor as her son!). Trevor helped her out by building a sidewalk and stairs for her at her house. When she had knee surgery it really helped to have steps instead of a slippery hill to walk down! We want her to stay safe, happy, and healthy. Whatever it takes Ann! :)
Let me brag on her son a bit. Ann was, for the most part, a single mom. She and her son moved to this area from a small town in West Virginia. She brought up her son to be a Godly man who is talented beyond belief. He is a professional organist, author, worship leader, teacher, scholar, singer, and on the go man of the Lord. He never stops! Ann is so proud of her son, and he is so proud of his momma!
I am blessed by this friend and her family. Through the good and the bad, the happy and the sad, Ann has kept the faith. She's loved God and honored Him. She's loved the unloveable, and been a role model and mentor to many others besides me. I look forward to many more celebrations with her and I just want to congratulate her on a job well done.
The first party was a celebration honoring a very dear friend's 70th year of life. Present for this special occasion were a number of close friends, family, and co-workers. My friend, Daisy Ann (as I lovingly refer to her), was the guest of honor and looked absolutely beautiful. She was beaming, as usual, and so proud to have her son and family around her.
The second party was an all out brough ha ha (spell) for my boss' husband. In the company of 200 of his "closest" friends, and to the sound of a live band crooning oldies but goodies in his backyard, Bosses Husband turned 60.
But back to that first party. A celebration of a major milestone for one of my favorite people in the whole world. Being a part of her festivities reminded me of what wonderful friends and family I have in my life. Ann was one of the first people I met when I moved to this area. I only worked with her for a brief period of time at Legal Aid, but in the six months we worked together we formed a special bond. When I was soooooo lonely & homesick, Ann spent time talking to me and praying with me. She set the standards high, still does, and accepted no excuses. When I would do something dumb, like speak on her behalf without her consent, she would let me know that was U*N*A*C*C*E*P*T*A*B*L*E!!!! She gave me hugs, filled in for me when I took lunch breaks, gave me advice, and loved me when I was feeling (and probably acting) my worst. She is the best!!
Ann has worked for Legal Aid for almost (or over) 30 years! She is a professional through and through. Her work is perfection, and she strives to help each of her clients personally. She handles the pro bono cases and is in charge of finding attorneys at local firms to take the cases. Not an easy task ... not many attorneys are willing to work for free when they already have full caseloads. But Ann is good at finding attorneys to help - they find it hard to say "no" to someone who is so kind and sweet. She handles all the legal aid divorce cases, and she also fills in for the intake paralegal when she's out of the office (which is often!!) She sits at the front desk when the receptionist is out or at lunch; she listens to the neverending complaints and drama of co-workers; and on occassion she's been known to shut her door and turn up the praise music or listen to a good sermon. She has a voice that is absolutely beautiful. She is a talented singer, and I believe comes from a long line of talented musicians.
I no longer work with Ann, but on a personal level we've grown even closer. I am proud to call her my adopted mom, and she gladly accepts me as her daughter (and Trevor as her son!). Trevor helped her out by building a sidewalk and stairs for her at her house. When she had knee surgery it really helped to have steps instead of a slippery hill to walk down! We want her to stay safe, happy, and healthy. Whatever it takes Ann! :)
Let me brag on her son a bit. Ann was, for the most part, a single mom. She and her son moved to this area from a small town in West Virginia. She brought up her son to be a Godly man who is talented beyond belief. He is a professional organist, author, worship leader, teacher, scholar, singer, and on the go man of the Lord. He never stops! Ann is so proud of her son, and he is so proud of his momma!
I am blessed by this friend and her family. Through the good and the bad, the happy and the sad, Ann has kept the faith. She's loved God and honored Him. She's loved the unloveable, and been a role model and mentor to many others besides me. I look forward to many more celebrations with her and I just want to congratulate her on a job well done.
**NOTE: I started this post the week after her party and I'm just now finishing it up - it has taken me this long to figure out where the heck I saved my drafts!!! DUH!
~ciao!
No comments:
Post a Comment