Monday, September 26, 2005

Nuts ... or the lack thereof

Today was a sad day in our household. Today, at oh dark thirty Trevor and I were jerked awake by our ever so annoying alarm clock. We had to be somewhere at 7:30 a.m., a full 1.5 hours earlier than our normal work day. UGH! Today was the day our poor boy Baron said bye bye to his ... ahem ... doodads. His manhood. Not his twig, but his berries. Yeah baby ... yeah ... (enter Austin Powers)

Poor Baron - he didn't know what was going on this morning. We didn't feed him (unusual) and he was loaded into the truck by himself (VERY unusual not to have Sam with him), and we took him to a place where there were 20 other unhappy pets. We went the route of our local Angels of Assisi Non profit neuter and spay center so we could afford groceries for the rest of the week. Anyway - since Baron is a big dog, and since he is a bit skittish around strangers, and since we weren't going to be with him, we were worried about how he might behave. That being the case, I felt it was in everyone's best interest to put a muzzle on my boy. I felt just awful strapping that thing on. And you would have thought we had Hannibal Lechter on a leash when we were amongst the other dogs and their owners. Trevor actually stayed outside with him until his name was called. Out of all the animals we were around Baron was the calmest and most gentle dog. He didn't growl at the nasty freak of a dog madly barking at him through the door. He didn't jump at the crazy lady who kept running from him because she thought he was going to gobble up her dog (about the size of a dog treat), and he didn't look twice at any of the cats crying in their cages (I think THEY knew what was about to happen!). Baron was awesome and I was so proud of him. When it was his turn to "walk the walk" he just looked at me with his droopy puppy dog eyes and gave me a lick good bye. I felt so guilty I wanted to cry. I hate the thought of any animal being in pain - especially my buddy. Have I ever mentioned how much Baron loves me? He and I bonded quickly. He doesn't listen to me, but he sure loves me.

The surgery was successful and we retrieved our guy this evening. He was so happy to see us and all of the staff commented on how handsome and sweet he was. He was returned to us muzzleless, so I assume he behaved like a dog should behave when threatened with the loss of his ... ahem ... doodads. Either way it was going to happen, but at least it wasn't before the anesthesia kicked in. :)

Perhaps you think this is an odd post? I don't think so. It pretty much fits into my Monday theme of "what CAN happen WILL happen." I think Baron would agree!

~ciao

3 comments:

Judah said...

hey!! It was great seeing you at AoA. Your doggie, is so cute!!

Anonymous said...

Awwww....I'm sure Baron got lots of love and attention when he got home. I had my Emma spayed last month. She did just fine...even after major abdominal surgery. Glad Baron's procedure went well!

Anonymous said...

POOR PUPPY!!! IS HE WEARING A LAMP SHADE ON HIS HEAD NOW?