Tuesday, September 27, 2005

: The Artist In Me :

I'm feeling the urge to throw my authorized and acceptable, fine point tipped, black ink ball point pen to the ground and run to the nearest craft store. My fingers are itching to do S*O*M*E*T*H*I*N*G creative. Recently I've been in a slump. My quilt is done thanks to my favorite quilt Nazi, I have read every idea/inspiration book available to the crafting community, and I've finished my latest circle journal entry. I have many other "to do's" on my scrapbooking to do list, but for some reason I have it in my head that I want to start an art journal. I find myself asking these questions...

* WHO am I artistically? Am I simply a scrapbooking kind of gal, or do I have it within me to be uber creative? It isn't like creativity doesn't run in our family - some of us just never fully developed our creative genes! My grandfather was an artist, my uncle was my favorite sketch artist, my cousin is pretty good with pen and ink drawings and makes frames like you wouldn't believe. His sister is an accomplished photographer, and his youngest sister resides in California making funky cool jewelry for a living. My aunt can draw and makes very cool cards, another cousin plays in a band, my aunt was and still is a beautician (they're hair artists, right?!) I don't want my only talent to be creating neat layouts for my scrapbooks. I want to be artistic in other ways as well... In that light I'm asking myself the following questions:

* WHAT do I hope to accomplish by starting yet another journal (when I hardly keep up with the ones I already have?! This blog is updated better than my journal!)

*WHERE would I find time to keep up with something like this? But then again, why wouldn't I want to find time to keep up with an art journal? It isn't like I'd have to do a page every day, right?

* WHY do I want to start an art journal? I think it is because I want to do something messy!! Remember finger painting when you were a kid? How FUN was that? No worries about staying "inside the lines." It was all about the messiness. As an adult I feel the need to get past this fear of getting my hands dirty. I need to start thinking and playing outside the box!

* HOW does one get started on such a journal? Do I pull out my box of crayola crayons and go to town or do I need to research this project a little more? Get down and serious about it? My first impulse is to research the crap out of the topic - but then that isn't very spontaneous or creative, is it? So grown up and boring! So should I just buy a journal and pretend to know what the heck I'm doing?

I have another little secret I've been harboring for about a year now. I confided in my mom, and she promptly told me I'm too old to do such things. But I'm going to throw this out there to those of you who know me, and those of you who read my blog. I've been dying to get my nose pierced. Nothing big and gaudy, just a little tiny speck of a stud in my nostril. This isn't an unusual desire for me - I already have multiple ear piercings and a belly ring in addition to the tattoo on my lower back. I love this about me - they make me feel young, although at 34 I don't think I'm THAT old (MOM!!!). I also don't look like the type who would do such things to my body. Amazing what growing up and having to work in a professional environment will do to a person!

So - what do you think? One of my friends (who IS younger than me) would love to go and have her nose pierced too. I'm thinking it could be a sooner rather than later split second decision. That's exactly how I ended up with my belly ring. >:)

~ciao

4 comments:

Judah said...

nose piercing, eh? Interesting. I could see you do it? I would feel like I have a booger in my nose!! Why don't you get the ring? then you cna hook a chain to it, thread that to an eyebrow ring then to your ear!! No serioulsy, you are never to OLD!!

Anonymous said...

Just make sure when you're blowing your nose, to plug that hole so you don't blow any boogers out sideways on some poor unsuspecting person sitting next to you. Ick! Har har
Your art journal - just do it! It's supposed to be fun, right? So let it be fun, not a chore, do whatever you want!

Judah said...

by the way, I like your new little photo

Anonymous said...

I say that if it is something you really want to do, then go for it! I like tiny little diamond studs in the nose. I also have a belly ring and two tattoos (plus my eyeliner...now THAT hurt). I've been thinking about getting a lower back tat, but I'll wait until something really speaks to me (design wise).

Let us know what you decide to do!