Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Bump In The Road

Well, as luck would have it, we made it to Wednesday before we hit a bump in the road. It is something I'm still reeling from, and I have no idea how to handle it.

The proverbial "brown stuff" hit the fan at work today. Accusations flying left and right, our boss stuck in the middle, and Trevor and I labeled the bad guys. We have evidently had "bad attitudes" and have treated our branch staff in such a demeaning manner that they have submitted their resignations. Hmmmm ... I'm not sure what bothers me more, the fact that they want to blame their failure on us, or that our boss is siding with them. Trevor has been with this company for 4.5 years and has worked side by side with our boss. She is very special to both of us, but he especially strives to do a good job so that she is successful. I've worked for this company for two years - and I basically do whatever anyone needs me to do. I'm a gopher girl. :) For the record, my professional training is in paralegal work.

So - our small office is in disarray and our boss is pissed beyond belief and is going to the branch office tomorrow to hear "face to face" as our LO puts it, how we have demeaned her and her secretary. The secretary submitted his resignation this morning and said he'd found a new job with better pay and benefits (which he didn't have with us), so I'm not sure where the demeaning fits in with his resignation. I feel fairly confident that what they have to say won't be pretty, but I'm not sure there is anything we can do about it. This branch office has been a touchy subject since it was opened 3 years ago. It is difficult to control an offsite location and still give people the freedom to run it they way they see fit. That just doesn't work. Either there are rules and guidelines that everyone follows, OR the other office has their own rules and guidelines and aren't accountable to anyone. That is a scary idea considering that in the end, if anything goes wrong, the company/owner is held responsible.

That said, I'm scared to death. I don't know what is in store for us. We left work after this explosion and now I'm wondering "Are we jobless?" Will we be jobless by next week? What is going to happen?! I'm placing my faith in God that He has a bigger plan than what I'm seeing right now. He better, because what I see is a deep dark black pit of nothingness. No house, no car, no clothes (yikes - thankfully Trevor is the only one in that pit with me!), no job.

On the other hand, I know God will provide for us. Sometimes he has to remove the stuff from between us and Him so we can see him again. Maybe that is what this is all about. Or, maybe we just need to move on and find jobs that will take us to the next step. Trevor has always dreamed of leading a camp for at risk youth. Taking on the pivotal role of being one of the last good influences in a teen's life before they enter adulthood and make horrible mistakes. He loves working with youth. They love having him around. Maybe, just maybe, we've lost that focus in our lives and this will bring it to the forefront. I just don't know.

So, if you're reading this blog and you happen to know that Trevor and I aren't REALLY demeaning ogres with bad attitudes (because as you well know, all ogres have bad attitudes!) please pray for us and this situation. Pray for truth, and that all of us will grow from this experience. Keep our boss in your prayers as she meets with the other staff to hear their complaints. She has been under a lot of stress lately and I know this is just the icing on the cake.

And last but NOT least, know that we appreciate your thoughts and prayers so very much. Thank you for reading my blog and for all your comments. They mean so much to me.

~H

2 comments:

Judah said...

First off you are not an ogre, they are huge and green,Shrek.
I am sorry this is happening to you. I will be praying for you, for truth, clarity, protection and faith. God will see you through this. The main thing is to stay faithful through the trail. so
do you need an evening at B&N? Love ya girl!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Heif, I'm so sorry! Yikes, surely your boss realizes that neither one of you are ogres, I know you all have a close relationship. It's frustrating when incompetent people have to blame their shortcomings on someone else, but I think it will always be that way. I'll keep you in my prayers! Love you!