I love Robert Frost. He is my favorite poet - and this poem is one of my very favorites penned by Mr. Frost. The first time I heard it was in a movie called "The Outsiders." A tragic movie, based on a tragic teen book, with an all star 80's cast. I remember the exact scene when Johnny (Ralph Maccio) recited this poem to Ponyboy Curtis (C. Thomas Howell - before he lost the "C"!). While the rest of the movie was very good, this one scene has always been stuck in my mind.
Nothing Gold Can Stay
Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
Now, I realize there is a deeper meaning to this poem that is tied to the Garden of Eden and the Fall of Man. But this poem also reminds me of another fall. A more tangible fall that I see and feel as the days grow shorter and the nights chilly. Mother Nature's natural progression through the seasons into my very favorite season of all. Fall.
And, since we're on the whole Fall topic again, have any of you ever tried THIS drink? Pumpkin Ale - if anyone knows where I can find this beer let me know. It sounds like something I would love. And the talented artist who created the layout is worth checking out on the 2Peas website.
Have a great Wednesday everyone!
~ciao
Wednesday, October 05, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks for the poem. I love fall time. Like the song too!!!
Post a Comment