Wednesday, November 09, 2005

*November 9th*

Today is the date that is a permanent fixture in my life. It is the day *I* came into the world. At 12:45 a.m., or some crazy hour in the morning, my mom gave birth to ME. Her firstborn. Her daughter. Her redhaired blessing. And 35 years later I'm still rubbing it in. :)

I would like to take a minute to reflect of a few things that have occurred to me today. Now that I'm 35 ....

1. Getting a mammogram will now become a yearly outing instead of something I tease my mom about.

2. My mom was only 24 when she had me - and four years later she decided to bring my rotten brother into the world. As if one redheaded child wasn't enough ... She had two kids by the time she was my age.

3. I can no longer fill out a form and circle the 24-34 age group. I've entered the "middle-aged" group.

4. I've been informed by my health insurance company that my payment will increase because at 35 I'm HIGH RISK. Even though I've never had an major health problems and very rarely use their services.

5. I'm significantly older than most of my friends - who are still in the mid to late 20's!

6. 80's music is now considered "classic" and can be purchased in sets from late night television ads hosted by Martha Quinn. YIKES!

7. I only remember words to songs from the 80's. I hum along to everything else. My mom used to do that too. Dear Heavens ... I'm becoming my mom!

8. I can't use the "when I grow up" phrase anymore, because now that I'm grown up the only place to grow is out!

9. Even at 35 I still love a new box of Crayola crayons and a clean coloring book. Thank goodness scrapbooking is an acceptable form of creativity.

10. And last but not least, I've become "Mrs. Beyer" to teenagers. When did I start looking like my mother in law for heaven's sake?!

*AND ONE TO GROW ON*

11. When I walk into a store that is playing 80's music (blasting The Cure), I don't necessarily belong in said store because I know the words to the song (see #7 above). Cardigans and jeans just don't stand up to grunge, black, and multiple piercings. Thats exactly what I thought when I was young and grungy and some yuppy old person walked into my favorite music store.

So, on that note, I'm off to enjoy my day of birth.

Happy Wednesday One and All!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR HEIFER.......HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!!
(DON'T DEPRESS ME ABOUT THE 80'S MUSIC, I'VE NOTICED THE SAME THING LATELY....IT'S NOW CONSIDERED "OLDIES" OH LORD!!!!)
I LOVE YOU HEIF, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
: )

Judah said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HEATHER!!! I did not realize you were so old, hahaha! Hey I had two recent times that I felt old, 1 was I pulled out a record and an 8 yrd old friend of my niece's did not know what it was, she said"wow that is a huge CD!!!" And the other time was when I was listening to Michael Jackson and my 10 yr old dancers did not know his music!

mindi11 said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!

You and I share a birthday! I am 26 today. 26 has come with it's own set of issues for me. :)

Enjoy your day, i have!