Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Shine that sink and other motivational suggestions.

Well - yesterday I broke down and joined the Fly Lady website. I am so desperate to get organized that I am willing to be instructed in the ways of becoming highly organized by a female fly! I guess that makes me a fly girl - which was cool back in the 80's when In Living Color was around. At least THOSE fly girls were hot!

So - my first task was to shine my sink - and keep it shiny. That isn't a hard task for me because I grew up with a mom who taught me how to keep a clean kitchen. Her motto was "you can always tell how clean a person is by how clean they keep their kitchen." I'm all about shiny sinks! :) The problem is, I signed up last night and didn't feel like shining my sink at 9:00, so I decided I'd do it this morning. But this morning I ran out of time and had to leave for an appointment. By the time I returned home and had time to shine my sink, I'd received my second & third missions ... "go find my shoes" and "plan a menu for the month of November." Thank God Thanksgiving is this week - that about finishes off the month of November me. :) Now to find my lace up shoes ...

Today I had my first interview since I was laid off from work four weeks ago. I was so nervous - I didn't even want to interview for the job because I knew it wasn't one that I was particularly interested in. Basically it is a "floating" secretary position, which is a person who does everything the other secretaries don't want to do (e.g. copying!!) Last night I sent the HR person an e-mail (they contacted me by e-mail) and explained that I would have to cancel my interview because I didn't feel the job opportunity they had available was one that I would be interested in. I apologized (I had a SERIOUS case of guilt about canceling so late in the game!) for such short notice. I figured it would be tacky for me to ask them to keep me in mind for future job openings, so I didn't include that in my e-mail. This morning at 8:30 a.m. the phone rang and it was the law firm. The HR person was calling to let me know she'd received my e-mail, and that there happened to be a full time legal secretary position available the first part of December. That if I was interested she'd still like to meet with me today. Okay ... who am I to refuse such an opportunity?! I kind of felt like God was telling me I REALLY needed to go to that interview.

I went. It went great. I feel very optimistic and will be returning for a second round of interviews next week!!! I'm very excited about this. The whole atmosphere at their firm is unlike any firm I've ever been in. They are personable, they don't do any domestic cases, so there aren't a bunch of broken hearted people weeping in the waiting room, the receptionist was a warm and motherly type person who greeted me with a "Now Honey, can I get you ANYTHANG to drink? Coffee, tea, some soda pop maybe? No? Well, if you need ANYTHANG just let me know. I'm right here." Holy Smokes - it was like the Walgreens "town of perfect" commercials! I had to take a typing test, which wasn't surprising, but my fingers wouldn't cooperate. I am known for my typing abilities, but today I wasn't too proud of my efforts. Still, not too shabby. Hopefully they won't hold that against me. :)

I am also happy to announce I completed my three "fly" tasks today - and one extra to boot! I shined my kitchen sink - armed with a bottle of bleach, scrubby sponge, toothbrush, windex, and some paper towels. While my sink was "soaking" I decided to work on the bathroom sink as well. I managed to shine my whole bathroom in the process. I made a kickin roast beef, made HOMEMADE egg noodles, and still had time to don my lace up shoes. I'm feeling pretty good right now - so I think I'll take advantage of this clean house high and head off to my room to enjoy a hot cup of cocoa.

Happy Tuesday everyone!

~HB

1 comment:

Judah said...

WOW!! I have heard of this flylady. Send me a link to her site.
Sounds like you had an awesome Tuesday! Praying for your job interview!! And if you need ANYTHANG just give me a call.