I remember when the excitement of the holidays was magical and not centered around frenzied shopping for the "perfect gift." Every year around this time I start to get nostalgic - and these are a few of the things I remember most...
A week long Thanksgiving break followed by a two week Christmas break - I know my parents were happy to ring in the new year!
singing Christmas carols at the nursing home with the church youth group
Christmas Eve Church services. The dimly lit sanctuary was quiet and awesome. The alter was decorated in pointsettas and candles. The choir sang the Halleluia chorus and Little Drummer Boy. Candles were passed around just before the service ended and all through the sanctuary the little lights would burn bright - like stars in the sky.
when the youth parents spontaneously decided to do a bon fire and sleigh rides down a certain hill at a certain home. hot chocolate and breathless trips down the hill kept the kids happy. The adults just enjoyed being amongst friends.
gazing into the sky searching for the Shepherds Star
Holidays were spent together instead of by phone
Grandma sitting in her special chair. Listening as her children and grandchildren opened their gifts
Decorating the tree with all our special childhood ornaments. i especially loved unwrapping the shrinky dink ornaments decorated with alphabet soup noodles spelling out "H E A T H E R" and "M A R K". How original!
Baking Christmas cookies to leave for "Santa Claus" was believable
Being too excited to fall asleep on Christmas Eve and whispering to my brother and sister until we couldn't keep our eyes open any longer. we drove our parents NUTS
The magic of the first snowfall of the season
Getting up early on a school day only to hear that school is cancelled due to snow. Woo Hoo!
The joy and magic of being a child during the holidays. How I miss the innocence and lack of responsibility!
singing christmas carols about Jesus being born - the meaning behind the words and the gift that was sent to live amongst us.
years and years worth of advent calendars.
Stocking stuffers
Candy canes and peppermints
unpacking my dancing Mr. and Mrs. Claus music "box"
the warmth and love given and received by everyone - even shoppers!
Salvation army santas on every corner and people didn't mind donating to a good cause. stores supported the Salvation Army
Helping my dad make sausage balls - we still do this!
~HB
Thursday, November 17, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
SIGH..........
That sounds wonderful, don't forget baking cookies and wrapping presents in front of the fireplace wathcing the snow fall outside and It's a Wonderful Life on t.v.....perfection......
: )
wow, I have a lot of the same memories, thanks for sharing. I lvoe watching the snow fall and how the world seems so quiet.
Thank you so much for this. I need a reminder of Christmas spirit. I've been feeling so overwhelmed lately and need to be reminded of the reason for the season. Our family is trying a new church tomorrow. I truly need to work on my relationship with HIM.
Post a Comment