Just a quick update. I had my 30 weeks doctor's appointment on Tuesday and received a good report. Baby T measured normal, heartrate was perfect - he sounded like he was galloping around inside me! My blood pressure was normal and I've gained 3 lbs since the last visit. As many of you already know, I had to retake the glucose test and the results came back normal. Woo Hoo! :) My doctor's appointments have been in the morning recently and that is definitely the way to go. Limited waiting and a quick checkup.
When I was taking the 3 hour glucose test I had to wait in the waiting room between my visits to the lab and while I was waiting I met a couple of women who were having some difficulty with their pregnancies. One lady was about 5 weeks away from her due date and the baby was already over 6 lbs! She had recently been attacked by an otter (of all things) and had to go through rabies treatment. Poor thing. When she was leaving her appt. she told us that they were getting ready to induce - I hope everything goes well for her! Another lady was pregnant with twins, about 30 weeks along, and a third lady was 6 days over her due date! About 3 hours was all I could handle in that waiting room! :)
I don't know if you all have been keeping up with the news, but I'm pretty sure you've probably all heard about the tragedy at the Amish schoolhouse. It has been going through my mind over and over again because it hits so close to home. Trevor and I have very good friends that live just outside of Lancaster, and we have taken several vacations to visit the area over the past few years. I wish I could adequately explain the beauty of Lancaster and the Amish people. On our first vacation in Lancaster we were privilaged to spend an evening with an Old Order Amish family. We were treated to an incredible dinner, they welcomed us into their home like old friends. They treated us like family, answered our questions, and it was complete joy to be around the entire family. Their children were so sweet and cute - and very outgoing. When our vacation came to an end Trevor and I both wished we'd been born into the Amish community! Seriously - we have never felt closer to the Lord than when we were in Lancaster just absorbing the community and the beauty of the countryside. We love going back and visiting our friends, shopping and the feeling of stepping back into the past. The clopping of the horses hooves hitting the streets early on Sunday morning, the quiet stillness of the farms early in the morning when the mist is still in the air. The homegrown, homemade food - canned and beautiful in the many different farmers markets. It is just the most amazing place.
My heart goes out to this community - I know their faith is strong and requires that they forgive the man who has stolen their children from them - but I don't think they will ever be the same again. Their gentle and quiet lives have been touched by the outside world - a world they have to live in, but they have chosen not to be part of it. I have been praying every day since this happened that some good will come from their tragic loss. God can use even the worst situations for his glory!
This afternoon I'm going to a bridal shower for a young lady at our church. She is the pastor's daughter - she's getting married a day before my due date. I have to run to Target (darn) to find a gift for her and then I'm off to celebrate with her and a bunch of other people from church. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.
H
Saturday, October 07, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree with you about the Amhs. Chris and I visited teh AMish community in ohio before Mikayla was born. I got to meet my penpal of 16 years for the first time. We stayed in an amish house, ate amish meals, road in a horse and buggy. I thought outside the legalism, they have this thing right. I felt so close to God, to chris and so I don't know how to explain it.
But this school shooting too has blown me away. All of them have. No school, no family should suffer like that.
Post a Comment