Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Rough Night, Baby Acne and Cecil Slippers

Whew - last night was a rough night for me and little Tristen. For some reason (I want to blame it on gas) he was up most of the night and acted like he was hungry each time he woke up. I'd try to feed him and he'd get mad - even though he was trying to nurse. It was frustrating and I tried so hard to be patient and understanding ... all night long. By 6:00 this morning I was worn out and so was poor Tristen. It is at times like this that I wish I knew more about babies. I feel so helpless and it freaks me out when he isn't his normal content self. He finally fell asleep from about 6:30 to 9:00 and when he woke up he was ready to eat. I've introduced the bottle to him - maybe he prefers silicon?! Anyway - with work looming over my head I have to prepare him for a full day of bottle feedings. I was told to start him on a bottle by about 3 weeks or he'll have a hard time adjusting. BUT - I've also heard it can cause nipple confusion. Like I said, I have no idea what I'm doing here.



Up until this point Tristen has had beautiful skin, now all of a sudden he's breaking out with tiny pimples. Not a lot, but just enough to make me feel bad for him. This is a "normal" thing that occurs, but I hope it doesn't get any worse.



And on a happier note, yesterday morning we opened our door and found a present from Auburn sitting on our porch. We didn't hear her drive up or anything - we have no idea when she arrived or if she knocked on the door. Aubs, we're so sorry we missed you. Please forgive us! In honor of Aubie, I'm posting a picture of Tristen's new slippers she bought for him. They fit perfectly!! Better than most of the socks we have in his dresser. Don't his little feet look so happy?!

Christmas was wonderful - very low key and not a lot of fuss. We went to my parent's house Christmas Eve and helped finish wrapping gifts. They had the cutest little tree this year - I think I'll do one just like it next year (sorry the picture is so blurry - my eyes weren't awake yet!) Tristen had his first trip away from home and he did very well. He slept most of the night and into the next day - then I started worrying because his eating habits were off. I've come to the conclusion that I'm a worry wart. Not intentionally - I just don't know what the heck I'm doing and everyone who has kids seem to take these things in stride.

Anyway, the cousins arrived on Christmas Day bright and early and they loved playing and looking at Tristen. They hadn't met him yet and they were all over him. It was hard getting them to keep their hands off of him and out of his face, but it was fun to see them enjoy him so much. He also had LOTS of attention from grandma and papa and he received some really cute gifts. Thanks mom and dad for such a great holiday. We had a few early morning visitors at our door Christmas morning - I went downstairs to take a picture of the tree before the craziness started and I heard a noise a the door. When I turned and looked, this is what I saw:



Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and that New Years will be just as special.

H

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mikayla had a few nights like that, growing spurt. HE is right on target. At 3 weeks, 6 weeks and probally around 9 weeks he will be up all night wanting to eat. Just means he is growing.
As for nipple confusion, that is the biggest crock of poop!! Don't wait too late, we waited too late and Mikayal would NEVER take a bottle. premi babies are started off on bottles and do fine going back and forth with bottles and the real deal.
Just relax, you are doing just fine.

Anonymous said...

I think Baby Acne happens to every baby. It usually clears up on its own.

I had to laugh at the nipple confusion. We had it with both of our kids. For BT he was in the NICU for 5 days after birth and would NEVER take my boob. I met with a lactation consultant and everything and we determined he was a "lazy sucker" and it was easier to get it from the bottle than work at it. So, I had double duty...pumping into the bottles, then feeding him. It worked out well (just was a lot more work) but I could hubby to help out with the feeding part more often when he was home. Since he was so used to the bottle we had no problems when I went back to work. He got B-milk for the whole 1st year even though I stopped pumping between 8-9 months. (It was frozen)

For Jessica, she just wanted the bottle from the get-go and never wanted to latch on (again consulted with a lactation consultant and this time was told I needed more patience...I obviously didn't have it with a 3+ year old running around and a newborn - so I went the pump/bottle route again...till I went back to work and then she went on formula at 10 weeks.

You will figure out what works best for you and Tristen....and just remember even the best laid plans need to be tweaked every so often and it's OK whatever you decide.