Saturday, February 10, 2007

A Week in Review

Our first week back to work went better than I expected. Monday went well and the rest of the week followed suit. Tristen had his 2 month check-up on Wednesday and he is perfect, or course. :) He weighed in at just about 11 lbs. and 23 inches long. He had to get 5 vaccines this go round, which was pretty traumatic for all of us. Four of the vaccines were shots and the other was the rotavirus vaccine, which was given to him orally. The nurse was sweet, but I don't think anything can prepare you for 4 shots. Trevor and I held his head and feet and tried to comfort Tristen, but we were pretty sad to see him so upset. Afterward, Trevor took Tristen back to Jennifer's house for the rest of the day. Jennifer said he slept most of the day, but he seemed okay when he was awake. We had some snow on Tuesday night so "traffic" was light and I made it to work with no problem. On Thursday everyone was returning to work and school and my timing was a little off. Next week I'll have a better idea of what time I need to leave the house. I've been trying to feed Tristen at home in the mornings, but on Thurs. and Fri. I just fed him at Jennifer's house and it worked out just as well. Besides, I get to see Jennifer for a bit if I do it that way. hehehe ... even if neither of us are morning people. :)

It is fun to be back at work and catch up on the latest and greatest. I sure miss Tristen, but Jennifer emails me updates periodically during the day and I call her once or twice to check in. It isn't the same at work without Jennifer there. When we worked together she would walk past my desk in the mornings barely awake and I'd say "Morning sunshine!" and she'd mumble something like "good morning ..." When I was pregnant with Tristen I was CRAVING Boston Creme filled chocolate donuts - for weeks. One morning Jennifer arrived with a Krispy Kreme donut box with not one but TWO donuts for me. She would bring us biscuits in the morning and call when she was out to see if we wanted Chik Filet. There were 4 of us who would go to lunch together almost every day - now we're down to three. So, we're improvising and trying to do dinners once a month. My attorneys are glad to have me back. They've given me this week to settle in, so I imagine next week will be back to normal. My biggest challenge will be to get out of the office by 5:00 since my habit was to stay late most evenings. Tristen is a good reason to get my work done during the day so I can leave on time. AND a good reason not to agree to work late or on the weekends. That will be darn near impossible.

Trevor worked the midnight shift last night so this morning when he called to check on us I pulled Tristen into the bed with me. He didn't sleep for long so I decided to take his picture while he was awake. He cooperated to some degree, but he was trying to fall back asleep. Take a look ...





He just had a bath and is sleeping in his crib for the first time. He's been sleeping in the pack and play in our room, but Jennifer has gotten him into the routine of putting himself to sleep in a crib and I'm going to do the same. Maybe by next weekend he'll be sleeping through the night in his own room. I have to admit, part of me wants him to stay in our room. I find it comforting - but it is a little tight in there and it is good for him to sleep in his crib. Better mattress and all. He loves the Baby Einstein turtle that plays music and has fish that float around in it. I love it too. :)

Isn't our little guy handsome? He is growing fast. He smiles, coos, sees us and his surroundings more clearly and is more aware of things. He "found" his thumb recently and manages to suck on his whole hand and get his clothes slobbery. He is quite the drooler too! He doesn't cry nearly as much as he did before - unless he's hungry and we're not moving fast enough for him. Otherwise, he's such a good baby. Very laid back and happy.

Love to everyone. Check back soon for more updates.

Trevor, Heather and Tristen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He is such a cutie. I know I tell you that all the time, but along with Davis I think he's the cutest little guy I know.