Tuesday, June 07, 2005

The Cat's Meow

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Yesterday I was feeling really bad because my kitty still hadn't returned from his outdoor excursion. I've never owned one of those animals that returns to its owner after spending a year traveling across country with several other clever animals. I lacked confidence that my inside kitty would share the instincts of his ancient ancestors, the outdoor cats, and find his way home to me. I had a meeting after work and couldn't go straight home to look for him, so Trevor wandered around the woods again last night - to no avail. When I got home from my meeting my hopes were dashed and I just sat out on my porch swing and cried. The clouds overhead indicated there was one hellacious thunderstorm brewing and I hated the thought of poor Jack outside in that kind of weather. Around 8:30 p.m. I convinced Trevor that he needed to take me out for Chinese food - I think he felt so bad for me he was willing to do anything to cheer me up. Upon our return guess who was sitting on the front porch? Give you a hint ... JACK!!! My prodigal son had returned and was munching on the food we left in his bowl on the porch. Boy was he a bedraggled mess! I scooped him up, took him into the kitchen and fed him 1/2 a can of his favorite food - I've never seen him eat so fast. Food was flying all over the place and he kept making this smacky lip sound that I interpreted to mean "MMMMMM MMMMMM mom, you serve the best can of stinky fishy cat food EVER!"

I tenderly watched over him, dried him off, and made sure Cleo (his sister cat) didn't eat any of his food. Then, with a twitch of his tail and a shake of his head he headed back to the front door and scratched at it to go out. Ungrateful beast! Cleo was none to pleased to have Jack back in the house. She had settled in quite nicely without him around to thwart her duties of queen cat. She must not like him too much since it only took her less than a day to settle into her "preferred routine." She hissed and growled at him all night long last night. I couldn't tell if it was because she'd rather have the house and owners to herself, or if he smelled from his night outdoors. Probably a mixture of both.

Regardless, I'm so glad to have my little buddy back. Thanks to all of you who checked in with me - I appreciate your concern.

~ciao

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

So glad he made it back!