Today is Father's Day and I'm taking this opportunity to express my love to my dad, Roger.
Dear Roger,
When we were young you and I had difficulty getting along. I can't even make light of our problems because some of them were pretty severe. But we perservered and made it through my teenage years and now we're on the "other side." Since I became a Christian, learned the meaning of forgiving and loving, and moved closer to you and mom, you and I have become closer as a father and daughter. I have enjoyed getting to know you as a person, and spending time learning from you. As an adult, I treasure the time we spend together whether it is canning, working in the garden, or just hanging out. One of my favorite moments we have shared recently is when mom was at her retreat. You and I walked our property and just took our time enjoying the woods and spending some time together. When I think of how far we've come all I can do is praise God. I know it is through His grace that we have been able to put the past behind us once and for all.
As an adult I can also look back to my childhood and appreciate so much of what you tried to teach us. Your work ethic, discipline, and knowledge about nature and gardening are also things that have shaped me into the person I am today. Without you I wouldn't know how to cook (okay, boil water), plant a garden, care for flowers, or enjoy nature. You shared with us all you knew, supported us and tried to teach us. For that I am so grateful.
In recent years I've found many good memories from my childhood that I'd forgotten in my anger. For instance, all those Sunday nights after church when we'd come home and fix an egg sandwich. The evenings we would drive around looking for deer - my word we did that alot! The trips we took to Roanoke to visit your family. The vacation we took to Cherokee, NC. Your cooking skills!! All the stories from when you served in the military. Card games. Evenings spent watching our favorite shows. The salamander story. All the cool old bottles you used to collect. Gardening and then going to the lake to swim in the evening. Your sense of humor when you just let yourself go and enjoy life. Your stories about Papa, Granny, and all your siblings. Trips to Floyd to look at your childhood homes. Kick the Can with your family. The list goes on and on and on. So many wonderful memories.
You, Roger, are a great father. As an adult I have been able to share something with you I missed out on as a teenager. I'm sorry so many years were wasted being angry with one another. You mean so much to me and I'm so grateful God has given us a second chance to be friends, and to enjoy a relationship. Thanks for loving me dad! Happy Fathers Day!
Love,
Red
Sunday, June 19, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment