Thursday, June 16, 2005

{i've lost my MOJO!}

This information is directly quoted from a newsletter I receive from Vicki Blizzard, the editor of Paperworks Magazine. I hope you all find this information as helpful as I have!
"Do you ever get tired of what you're working on? Days when you feel like if you have to knit one more row in your current afghan project or scrapbook one more photo you'll run screaming into the street?

When you get to this point, it's beyond time to take a break from being creative. Seriously, you can do it. Put down those knitting needles before your hurt someone with them!

Recharging your creative batteries: There are several things I do when I feel like I just can't create one more project. Here's a list of them. Try one or several -- they're in no particular order.

1. Take a break from all things creative for at least one whole week. I don't knit, crochet, scrapbook, bead, sew or do anything that involves making something new or refurbishing something old. You may find yourself reaching for hook and yarn while you're watching your favorite shows in the evening, but don't let yourself. Taking a complete break is important in recharging your batteries!

2. Page through all the magazines and catalogs that have been piling up on the table before finally throwing them away. If I don't have a backlog of magazines, this is the time I go buy new ones (and then I actually sit down and read them and study the photos). If you'd rather not purchase magazines, stop by your local library -- they usually have a great selection of the most recent issues of magazines in all interest areas.

3. Watch TV, but not craft shows or redecorating shows. Watch soaps or nighttime dramas featuring gorgeous women in beautifully accessorized outfits. Pay particular attention to accessories, colors and styles.

4. Pamper yourself. Indulge in nightly bubble baths. If you've never had a facial, consider visiting a day spa for skin treatments or a massage. If you're hesitant about the expense, whip up a face masque from ingredients you can purchase at a grocery or health food store and treat yourself. A recent Internet search turned up thousands of entries when I typed "natural facial recipe" in the search box.

5. Organize your supplies. Use this time away from crafting to go through your yarn (paper, embellishment, ribbon, fabric) stash and clean out anything that you haven't used in years. Be brutal -- you can always buy more. Pack up everything and donate it to a school. Teachers have very little money to spend on art and craft supplies and appreciate the donation of things they can use in their classrooms.When you've been totally away from crafting for a week or two, you're ready for the next step.

Try something new! Give your brain a challenge. If you're an avid knitter but have never tried embroidery, now is the time. If scrapbooking is your thing, pick up a brush and try decorative painting. If you adore cross-stitch, purchase a package of polymer clay and create some buttons or beads. You get the picture. The point here is to think about crafting in a different way. Try something new. At worst, you'll find out you don't like threading needles with embroidery floss. At best, you may find a new crafting passion!

Ease back into projects. When you've taken a break and tried a new technique, you're finally ready to go back to your favorite crafts. Reviewing catalogs and photos will give you inspiration for new color combinations. Watching TV will provide inspiration for trends in fashion and home decor. Removing old, tired products from your stash frees up space for new supplies, so head off to the craft store to purchase new things to inspire and motivate. When you pick up your needles (scissors, paintbrushes, etc.), you'll be rested, recharged and more than ready to start back into your favorite crafts!"

~Vicki Blizzard

No comments: