Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Its in the genes...

I have a confession to make. I'm not enjoying my house right now! I am so overwhelmed by things that need to be done, things that should have been done, and things that I want to do ... and I can't seem to get any of them done. I've posted about this problem before, but after 4 weeks of either being on vacation or house sitting, my household neglect has caught up with me again. I would dearly love to throw away all those unpacked boxes and all the odds and ends that have been accumulating around the house. Toss the uninspiring living room furniture, carpet the daggone wood floors that collect dust bunnies even when they're swept every day ... at least three times! Shave the cats so they'll stop creating the dust bunnies (not really, I'm just saying that), and lay a concrete yard. We have NO grass in our backyard, and we haven't had any since we started renovations last year. Every time poor Trevor goes to work in the yard the sky lets loose and it rains for days on end. He gets excited when crabgrass springs up!

Am I whining? No, wait, let me answer that. I AM whining ... I can't seem to stop whining! I want a week to do what needs to be done. A week of uninterrupted time at home where we can regroup and accomplish the things that have been neglected, ignored, or things we simply haven't had time to finish. Finish painting the rooms that have been renovated. Plant some grass seed. Clean out the creek. Paint the man shack. Pressure Wash the siding. Landscape the backyard. Accomplishing any one of these tasks would make me so happy.

My mom says this house has been hard on me and Trevor. Well ya know mom, you're right. It has been. We bought an old farmhouse with lots of work that needs to be done. We can do it, and we will (and yes, I know it will take time) but for now it is on my poop list. It has charm, character, and potential to be the house of our dreams, and I love it (I can't speak for Trevor), but for right now, at this very moment, I don't have to like it. I have relatives that fall into the same category. hehehe

I suppose I should mention that today all of this seems to be weighing heavily on my mind because we're having our pastor and his wife over for dinner. I'm nervous. Don't want anyone to think we are poor white trash. ;) I want my house to be perfect, and it is FAR FROM PERFECT. On top of tonight's dinner we're having a weekend full of houseguests. The weekend guests are our dear friends who have already seen the house and appreciate the work we HAVE done. All I have to worry about with them is making sure everything is clean and they're fed. :)
Oh, and mom ... this anxiety ridden daughter has your genes. Who cleans their house BEFORE the cleaning person arrives? Who stresses out when their house "looks like a tornado went through it" and friends are coming over for dinner? It is true ... I'm following in your footsteps!

xoxoxo Mommy!
ciao!

1 comment:

mindi11 said...

hi! :) just letting you know that I tagged you on my blog to do a meme challenge :)