Well, I've received some good feedback from my previous post!! I have to agree with all of you that there are some good points to this article. (Even if some of it sounds a bit extreme).
As a wife, I do think it is important to make my husband's life as comfortable as possible. BUT, I think it is reasonable to be upset if he doesn't come home one night (unless it is prearranged), because his place is AT home ... not out relieving his stress because he's had a "hard day." I also have a very hard time with the whole "good wife always knows her place" bit. I think I'm a very good wife, but I am also an individual with my own thoughts and feelings that need to be taken into consideration. For instance, say my husband had a hard day at the office, and I spent the day doing everything to prepare for his return home (i.e., cleaned, cooked, bathed the kids, lit a fire, prepared a drink, etc.) and my stressed out husband decided he wasn't coming home that night. I don't think that sit very well with me. Not because I've gone to a lot of effort to prepare for his return from work, but because of his lack of respect for me.
I will always try to do whatever I can to make my husband happy, and if that means starting a fire, fixing him a drink, cooking dinner for him, etc., then so be it. But in an age where husbands and wives are both facing many of the same stresses, I think it is safe to say the 1955 Good Housekeeping Guidelines for being a good wife are slightly outdated.
While some of this information is clearly a little extreme, the values this article reflects are important. By that I mean, in an age where the social norm is "men and women are created equal," our roles have been redefined (and compromised in my opinion). Since that is the case, then perhaps it is all about attitude instead of deeds that makes a good 21st century wife. Maybe that is what this article is about. Wives with good attitudes = wives with POWER! The power to make our homes happy or stressful simply by greeting our husbands with a smile and some good home cooking (like the gourmet hotdogs with mac and cheese that I prepared last night!) That is kind of cool, don't you think?
Sorry for rambling. It is strange for me to take verbalize such strong opinions in this blog- but after reading your comments and listening to Trevor's opinion, I paused to consider how I REALLY feel about this whole topic. I suppose the 1955 Good Housekeeping article isn't "politically correct," but if marriages lasted longer and families were happier then what difference does it make?!
Happy Friday!! Carrie - I will be making your banana dessert you posted on your blog a few days ago. AND, I just bought some fun little items from a couple of Pampered Chef parties - can't wait to use them!
~ciao
2 comments:
You hit the nail on the head, I agree. It is about attitude. Taking joy in your role as a wife. God put in us the power to make or break our husbands, so as a wife we have a huge responsibility to use it for God's glory. Look what happened to Adam, to the pharoah. There are many examples where a woman used her power for wrong. So it is attitude, choosing to use it the right way.
Well said Heather! I totally agree. I remember a verse that something like "a virtuous woman builds her home on a strong foundation while a foolish woman tears her home down with her own hands". I probably have it wrong, but what I always try to remember is the "tearing her home down with her own hands" part. So true. If we were only aware of how our attitudes set the tone of our home. I agree....it is more attitude than knowing our place.
I hope your Banana Toffee Pizza was yummy!
Post a Comment