Heather, you have been assigned a mission. Today you must return to the unemployment office to provide Trevor's w-2's and 2005 paystubs to the unemployment specialist because they can't find any record of his salary. Make haste, time is of the essence. Once you have accomplished this mission you may begin receiving unemployment benefits. Should you fail ... well, just don't fail. This message will self-destruct in 30 seconds. Good luck.
*B*O*O*M*
Trevor was working with my dad today, so I came up with a strategy to fulfill my mission. I would tackle several important errands while I was in town. First stop, the unemployment office.
I stood in line for about 15 - 20 minutes, paperwork in hand just waiting to be submitted to the sourpuss customer service representative. I observed as one by one the people in front of me shuffled forward with heads held low to talk to the customer service rep. She would bark a response to each person and they would meekly walk away to sit at a table and wait for a specialist to help them. I determined that when it was my turn to approach the customer service shrine, I would not let her make me feel like a loser.
"NEXT!"
I approached Ms. Sourpuss with my head held high. I looked her in the eye and politely identified myself and my mission. Before I had finished my speech she was already shaking her head "no." With a snide tone in her voice she smirked and said
"You can't submit this information, only your husband can submit it." Then, waiving a green form in my face she added "I need his permission, and only his permission."
Me: "so you're telling me that you won't accept the information your specialist requested, the information I'm now holding in front of you, the INFORMATION THAT IS HOLDING UP OUR INCOME, because it isn't being handed to you by my husband?!"
Sourpuss: "yes, that is correct. Our Richmond office just passed a new rule that we have to have this green form signed by the filer"
Me: "Oh, that makes perfect sense. Can I take this form and have him sign it and return the signed form with the paperwork I'm holding in my hand, the paperwork you won't accept, the paperwork HOLDING UP OUR INCOME?!"
Sourpuss: "no." she responds with an eyeroll and a shrug. "he has to come down here and sign it. then we can accept his documents. this form is a release for us to make copies of the original documents."
Me: "fine, I'll have him come back down here tomorrow. This is just our friggin income we're talking about. No big deal. Thank you so much for your assistance customer service queen." (I didn't really call her the customer service queen.)
I spun on my heel and with my head held high and shoulders straight, I marched back out the door to my car where I proceeded to cry.
Why, oh why must people be so hateful? Why isn't there more compassion? I'm not looking for pity, just a little sensitivity. Maybe if I'd gone to the DMV they would have taken my paperwork with a better attitude.
*B*O*O*M*
Trevor was working with my dad today, so I came up with a strategy to fulfill my mission. I would tackle several important errands while I was in town. First stop, the unemployment office.
I stood in line for about 15 - 20 minutes, paperwork in hand just waiting to be submitted to the sourpuss customer service representative. I observed as one by one the people in front of me shuffled forward with heads held low to talk to the customer service rep. She would bark a response to each person and they would meekly walk away to sit at a table and wait for a specialist to help them. I determined that when it was my turn to approach the customer service shrine, I would not let her make me feel like a loser.
"NEXT!"
I approached Ms. Sourpuss with my head held high. I looked her in the eye and politely identified myself and my mission. Before I had finished my speech she was already shaking her head "no." With a snide tone in her voice she smirked and said
"You can't submit this information, only your husband can submit it." Then, waiving a green form in my face she added "I need his permission, and only his permission."
Me: "so you're telling me that you won't accept the information your specialist requested, the information I'm now holding in front of you, the INFORMATION THAT IS HOLDING UP OUR INCOME, because it isn't being handed to you by my husband?!"
Sourpuss: "yes, that is correct. Our Richmond office just passed a new rule that we have to have this green form signed by the filer"
Me: "Oh, that makes perfect sense. Can I take this form and have him sign it and return the signed form with the paperwork I'm holding in my hand, the paperwork you won't accept, the paperwork HOLDING UP OUR INCOME?!"
Sourpuss: "no." she responds with an eyeroll and a shrug. "he has to come down here and sign it. then we can accept his documents. this form is a release for us to make copies of the original documents."
Me: "fine, I'll have him come back down here tomorrow. This is just our friggin income we're talking about. No big deal. Thank you so much for your assistance customer service queen." (I didn't really call her the customer service queen.)
I spun on my heel and with my head held high and shoulders straight, I marched back out the door to my car where I proceeded to cry.
Why, oh why must people be so hateful? Why isn't there more compassion? I'm not looking for pity, just a little sensitivity. Maybe if I'd gone to the DMV they would have taken my paperwork with a better attitude.
Mission NOT accomplished. I came home and ate a taco from Taco Bell.
Welcome to the world of unemployment.
Welcome to the world of unemployment.
4 comments:
ahh, government employees, aren't they best. Well we love you Ms Feather. And don't you forget it! Remember to be Christ to the world. Tough mission, eh
Oh I'm so sorry this is happening. I'm sure it feels surreal. When I started reading, I thought your story would turn out to surprise me, that you might actually have a positive experience, but alas, your experience is sadly typical. I don't understand what it is that makes people hateful and rude all of the time.
Sending you cyberhugs and prayers for a positive and rapid resolution to this situation
i'm so sorry. i've been dealing with my share of unnecessarily hateful/rude people myself, so i can send you sympathy hugs. i'm so so sorry.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest her rude "customer service" armpits!
I find that after I get done fuming and ranting at such people though, you have to kind of feel sorry for them, what sad lives they must lead, to be so hateful all the time.
Sorry you're going through all this, Heif. You're still A#1 in my prayers! Love ya!
Post a Comment