I've been reluctant to discuss my feelings about my job(less) situation too much on myblog. I just don't think it would be appropriate to spew my junk here for a variety of reasons, one of which is that I've been sorting through my thoughts and feelings and trying hard to be positive. I didn't want to spend my time at home obsessing about why this has happened. I am the type to dwell in my sadness for a while, and I just didn't want to go that route this time. Writing in my personal journal, trying to remain upbeat and not wallow in the muck for too long, and prayer has been the best thing for my attitude. I've gone through shock, confusion, anger, mourning, sadness, and finally peace with the situation. Now I can write about how I feel because it is all positive!
Change is scary, and no income is really stressful. But we've discovered once again that our lives are not in OUR hands, but in God's hands. It is easy to lose sight of that fact when we go through life making plans and budgets and trying to meet goals in a certain frame of time. Ironically, all of our planning was shot to the wind when we lost our jobs. Suddenly those plans and goals don't look nearly as important as just getting through each day. Our new goals are simple. Get a job. How simple is that?! No detailed planning. No creative financing. No worrying about whether or not we can afford to do something. We can't. It is that simple. We can afford to live simply and nothing more.
And, we're counting our blessings again. We're not completely broke and homeless, and that is a blessing. We qualified for unemployment, and that is a blessing. We can't do a bunch of house renovations right now - and hey, that is a blessing for poor Trevor. We've been hanging out together and talking more about things that matter (not work) - that is a blessing. I've been cooking a lot of meals and it has been fun! I love cooking and having more than the evening to throw something together has been a great experience. Or house has never been cleaner - that is a blessing. There are so many day to day blessings that I'm thankful for, but most of all I'm just so glad to feel happy and confident again. What a blessing to have God to help us through the difficult times as well as the good times. He is an ever present source of strength to tap into when life looks & feels bleak. I can't imagine life without His presence.
Many of you have asked how we're doing, and I just want you to know we're doing great. We've worked through the icky feelings and we're confident God has a plan for us. We're doing things we wouldn't be able to do if we had jobs. We're forgiving, forgetting, and moving forward. We're happy and hopeful as we look past the holidays into the New Year. 2006 is bound to be better than 2005.
Thanks to all of you for reading and posting here. I hope you all have a wonderful weekend.
~HB
3 comments:
what a lovely post. Isn't it amazing how we can live simple and not really need all that stuff?
I know God has great things in store for you two, for your faithfullness!!
i'm so happy for you guys. this was such an uplifting post to read, very timely. thank you :)
Fantastic update. I sincerely expected nothing different from you. Upbeat and positive, looking to God for direction. Of course you are. Thank you for the reminder that sometimes He needs to show us how to rely on Him. You will be fine. He never fails us. Here's wishing you all of the blessings of this Christmas season and always.
Post a Comment